Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Saturday, June 17, 2006

Weaning from the pacifier

The other night Nic and I were discussing weaning Ben from his pacifier. He only takes it at naptime and bedtime and doesn't use it any other time of day, so even though it's never easy to wean a child from a comfort item, it will be easier done sooner rather than later.

I hadn't planned on starting right away, but Ben fell asleep for his first nap yesterday after spitting it out, so I intentionally put him down without it for his second nap; he just pulled his blanket into his face and fell asleep. His third nap was more difficult and I caved in and gave him his pacifier, but no more. I don't want to confuse the poor little guy. So I didn't give it to him at bedtime, and although it took him longer than normal to fall asleep, he was asleep within 25 minutes.

This morning I put him down for his first nap and he was asleep within 10 minutes without his pacifier. He's doing so well!

Fortunately Ben is a kid who loves his blanket and is able to derive some comfort from that. Fingers crossed that this is an easy transition for him.

Labels: