Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Friday, December 21, 2007

Almond extract isn't always extracted from almonds -- who knew?

**Since posting I've noticed this particular entry has been getting a lot of hits and would like to remind peanut/nut allergic folks to always check with the manufacturer of any questionable product to verify ingredients.**

So as everyone knows Ben's allergic to peanuts and egg white, as well as mildly allergic to egg yolk. He's outgrown his milk allergy (at least to the best of our knowledge -- he's been consuming cow's milk for several months now with no eczema, or any other symptoms).

Anyway, because of Ben's peanut allergy we're additionally avoiding tree nuts. The majority of peanut allergic individuals also react to tree nut proteins, so until we've had further testing done to confirm one way or the other avoidance is our only (and best) option. As a result I've been doing all of our Christmas baking (also because of the egg white allergy) and even going so far as to make our own chocolates (so far I've made peppermint chocolate truffles and chocolate covered cherries, I have a great fondant recipe to try out still).

Fortunately I've been able to verify my baking ingredients are peanut/nut free, like the baking chocolate, and the chocolate chips, etc. Which brings me to the almond extract. I had always assumed almond extract was from, well, almonds. But much to my surprise it usually isn't.

I contacted McCormick's Canada yesterday to inquire about the simulated almond extract I purchased (thinking simulated would be the route I'd have to go if I wanted to use almond extract). I wanted to double-check that there indeed wasn't trace peanut/tree nut protein in the product. This is when I was informed that both the Club House brand "artifical" almond extracts and "pure" almond extracts were actually derived from peach and apricot kernels, and not from almonds. Apparently this isn't uncommon, and often in baking crushed peach and apricot kernels are used in place of crushed bitter almonds. News to me!

Anyway, that was an interesting discovery. Thought I'd share.