Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Sunday, March 09, 2008

Buh-bye 'noggin'.

Unbeknownst to us last night was Ben's last night with the soother.

I check them daily, and it's a good thing, because when I went to put him down for a nap about 15 minutes ago I looked at his soother and it had a gaping hole in it (likely from him chewing on it). I showed the damage to Ben, told him it was broken, and he threw it down the stairs to Daddy who put it in the trash. Then I went on the hunt for Ben's only other soother, found it, another gaping hole, repeat previous scene, and that was it, all out of soothers. I told myself that these two would be the last two, but I expected to be able to prepare for it! (Given the state of his soothers we definitely *won't* reintroduce them; its a matter of safety.)

And so initially he wasn't pleased, cried, called for me, I went into his room, laid down in his bed with him, talked to him in a low, calm voice, told him to watch the ceiling fan to help him fall asleep, and then quietly excused myself from the room (without looking back); not a peep since. In fact, this is one of the easier times I've had putting him down for a nap lately.

Overall I don't expect it to be too difficult since he only took it at nap and bedtime, and honestly, I think he's ready; he doesn't keep it in his mouth throughout the night, just until he falls asleep. We're very proud of Benjamin - he's become such a big boy. :*)