Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Monday, May 28, 2007

Ben's current favourite activities.

1. Playing with mixing bowls and balls. This became a quick fave for Ben once he developed the motor skills to try spinning balls in the big shallow metal mixing bowl we have in the cupboard. Nic and I used to do this to entertain him and now he does it to entertain himself. When he gets bored with the balls he tries spinning various items in the bowl, like cooking utensils, sippy cups, and blocks. As you can imagine he doesn't quite get that spinning effect, but it still generates a lot (and I mean a LOT of noise).

And speaking of noise, no one ever told me that parents really build up a tolerance for loud and obnoxious noise. As long as it isn't crying I can tune it out and since it's the sound of Ben entertaining himself it means I can read for five minutes. That's another skill parents develop: reading novels in five minute intervals without losing the plot.

2. Being chased around the house while we (and he) shout "Grrrrr!" like a bunch of lunatics. I can't remember exactly how this one started. I think I was trying to teach Ben how to growl like a bear, and then I chased him (he loves to be chased). Now he starts off the game by growling and running off being sure to look back over his shoulder to see if someone's coming after him.