Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Monday, September 22, 2008

Preschool drop-off wasn't so successful this morning

Ugh. There is nothing harder than walking away from your child who's desperately trying to cling to you, is crying, and screaming 'Mummy!!'

Ugh.

Ugh.

Poor kid didn't want me to leave, didn't want to take his teacher's hand (kept pulling away), wanted to hang on to me (I had to pull away from him), it was awful. His teacher just encouraged me to leave, and so I did. I think if I'd taken a few more minutes to talk to him it might've been better, but I understand why they encourage parents to just make a run for it... clean break and all that. We'll chat afterwards.

I think Ben's anxiety about me leaving was partly due to being outside. Some mornings the kids start outside playing in a giant sandbox with big dump trucks, shovels, etc., and other mornings we bring them in to their classroom. The classroom has so many different activities and toys that he's easily distracted.

UPDATE: Pick-up was great. Ben was all smiles; he'd clearly had fun and was happy to see me. He came barrelling over giving me the biggest hugs and kisses telling me he missed me. What a sweet kid.

We had a little chat about drop-offs and that I understand he's a little sad when I leave, to know that I will always come back to get him and that he'll have fun with the kids and teacher in the meantime. And reiterate that school is for kids and teachers, but not for mummies and daddies. It seemed to help. He teared up a little and tried to stall when I was getting ready to leave the following day, but he really kept it together, and again I was greeted with a big bundle of happiness when I returned. :)