Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Sunday, April 12, 2009

Caitlin's given up the soother

So strange for me! Ben loved his soother at nap and bedtime, but Caitlin has been very adamant that she's not interested. She spits it right back out and sometimes the soother even gets air!

She's happy to be rocked, which we do to help her get into her relaxed/drowsy state, but we don't rock her right to sleep. Usually when I put her in her crib she'll fuss for a moment (like literally one minute) and then she's out. (I've tried the whole routine of picking her back up, rocking some more, etc. but all that does is prevents her from falling asleep.) It's quite something that at this young age that she's able to fall asleep on her own.

Of course, we *could* rock her until she's sound asleep, but I really think that'd be more for me than her. If she can fall asleep on her own I think we'd be doing her a disservice in the long run by getting in the way. And eventually babies get big, and heavy, and the rocking phase becomes longer and longer as babies become older and more alert, and bedtimes become a challenge, and that's when people find themselves at their wit's end. And then people consider hard-core sleep training tactics, like cry it out, and I really, REALLY don't want to go down that road.

Labels: