Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Monday, October 19, 2009

School drop-offs

My poor boy. He cries every morning that I drop him off at school. Last Friday, however, we were running late so everyone was inside when we got to school and I just ushered him in, said a quick good-bye, and all was fine. But usually when we arrive on time the kids are in the school yard with a few playing, but many just standing in line waiting to go inside. Most times Ben will bring his bag into line then run back to me sobbing, telling me he'll miss me, and it's so heartwrenching (but I remain calm and don't show any upset myself as I know he'll settle in when he gets inside).

But this morning. Oh man. My heart was bleeding for my boy. He said good-bye to me at the gate, we had a hug, talked about the fun stuff he does at school, and off he went. He stood against the wall with the other kids outside, in line, waiting to go in. But when I looked at him I could see he was fighting back tears and wiping them away. And then his face began to contort and I knew he was crying. He tried so hard and couldn't hold it in, yet he didn't come back to me. He was trying so hard to be strong. I so wanted to just give my boy the biggest hug ever and hold him forever.

Labels: ,