Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Sunday, November 22, 2009

What Caitlin's up to lately

It's been a little while since I've updated on Caitlin's milestones, so here's a little on Caitlin's recent achievements.

She's been proper hands-and-knees crawling for about a month now with a smidge of commando crawling thrown in now and again. And she's getting around very quickly too! The little smartypants takes off on me when I say her name... she knows a diaper change (which she loathes) or a clothing change (which she loathes almost as much) is coming up. I usually get halfway through one or the other and the little bare-bummed girl takes off at full speed, looking over her shoulder laughing. Silly monkey.

She's also pulling herself up on furniture, and her most recent trick is to climb on Daddy when he's laying on the floor next to the couch, then climbing up onto the couch itself. Once she gets up onto the couch she turns around, sits, and claps for herself. She's so funny and way too cute!

I recently mentioned she'd discovered gravity, but she hadn't yet coupled the discovery with food. Yeah. She's discovered it now. Lots of messes and good times to come.

And I've had a recent discovery of my own. Occassionly Caitlin becomes overtired. It's not common because she doesn't get over-stimulated/tired nearly as quickly as Ben did when he was an infant/toddler (he would ramp up so fast you wouldn't know what hit you!) and having had the experience of getting one child through infancy and toddlerhood I am quicker to notice the signs, but we can't be perfect all the time now, can we? So, it does happen on occassion and she cries like there's no tomorrow. Until recently Nic and I would hold her and rock her in the chair, then try to put her down, and of course, more crying the minute we put her down, and so we'd rinse and repeat. One night after shuffling her around from crib to chair to our bed to crib to chair, etc. in an effort to soothe her she just screeched in my arms. She'd totally had enough. Mummy *finally* clued in. I put her in her crib screaming her wee head off and left. Literally two minutes later - silence - she was out like a light. Duh. Apparently my infant translator wasn't plugged in. Crying doesn't always = "hold me, don't leave me"; sometimes it means "Piss off! I'm trying to sleep and you're messing things up!"

Labels: