Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Monday, March 31, 2008

Ben's allergy test results.

Well, the peanut is still positive, which I pretty much expected and so it's easy to deal with. The egg came back negative, as did milk. We expected the milk since Ben's been consuming dairy for months now. It's nice to see the result on paper though.

If I'd posted this about six hours sooner I probably would have been over the moon about the negative egg result. The allergist instructed to start out by offering egg products and to observe Ben for a reaction, then if all goes well to move on to well cooked eggs, i.e., hard boiled or well done scrambled eggs. So, I baked some oatmeal mini-muffins while Ben had his nap. One egg in the entire batch. When he woke up he ate three muffins (probably more like two with waste) and no sign of a reaction. About an hour or two later I notice what looked like a little hive on his upper lip (causing me to burst into tears of disappointment). Then about ten minutes later a reddish spot besides the 'hive'. Im not entirely sure what to make of this. Having seen a reaction before (granted, more a obvious reaction) I feel in my gut that it was a reaction, but it's tough to be certain. What I've planned to do is make pancakes on Saturday morning when Nic's home; the egg will be a bit more concentrated so hopefully it'll be enough to make for a more obvious, but not horrific, reaction.

I'll post more on the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and we're back to the allergist in May for tree nut testing. A whole other can of worms. Good fun.