Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Saturday, March 29, 2008

Week 5: My chart.

One thing I didn't do while trying to conceive Ben was chart my basal body temperature (first morning resting temperature), so I gave it a try this time around and what a neat thing it is.

In a nutshell, during the first half of a woman's menstrual cycle (known as the follicular phase) body temperature should be recorded daily. The day after ovulation occurs a spike in temperature should be observed (the spike will vary from woman to woman) and a raised body temperature will continue to be observed through the second post-ovulatory half (the leuteal phase) of the cycle until either menses occurs (temp will begin to decline) or pregnancy is achieved (higher temp will be maintained or may continue to elevate).

There's a whole bunch of biochemical mumbo-jumbo that goes along with this, but I'll spare the details and just show you my chart from the month we concieved sweet little baby #2.