Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All about Caitlin!

Boy, it has been a busy six weeks. It's true that what they say: two children are quadruple the workload of one. And as a result I've been neglecting the blog. So Caitlin, when you're older and reading this, please know you weren't the neglected second child, in fact, the blog was neglected so I could care for you. And quite happily so. :)

And now to get caught up and share a little about Caitlin.

At Caitlin's last weigh-in, about a week ago, she was weighing in at 9 lbs 13 oz and found to be following the 50th percentile curve for both weight and height. She was born around the 75th percentile and dropped significantly. Whether it was a result of ineffective nursing (I'd learned Caitlin's suck wasn't very effective, so basically all she was getting was what was literally pouring into her and the rest of the time she'd just suckle, but nothing strong enough to get a significant amount of food - this was fine in the beginning when she didn't need much to eat, but became our challenge as she started growing and needing more food) or if she's just settled into her natural curve remains to be seen. We've since gone to the bottle (with a bit of nursing until my milk's gone, and unfortunately it almost is) and she's consuming about 3 oz per feeding and eating about every three hours through the day, and up once or twice through the night (between 8pm and 6am). She'll be back to the doctor in February for her two month shots and will be weighed again then.

So far Caitlin is a great sleeper for a newborn and is generally predictable. She naps pretty well through the day and sleeps well at night. The past few nights she's gone to bed at 8pm and woke at 2am, and again at 6am. Thank you for going easy on Mama, sweetie!

Caitlin is a fan of the bath. She's just so content when she's in the water. It seems she could just soak in the bath endlessly. What she does hate with enthusiasm is getting out of the bath. She'll cry until she's dried and dressed again.

For the most part though Caitlin isn't a big crier. She'll cry when she's hungry or tired (although this time around I'm on top of the naps sooner than I was with Ben and so she doesn't often get to the point of freaking out for a nap). She's happy to nap pretty much anywhere, like her swing and especially the vibrating chair Granny and Granddad Bloomfield gave her for Christmas (what a godsend that thing is - thank you!), but she also naps well in her room. Her brother can be a bit too noisy for her at times, and one thing she is is a light sleeper. She doesn't necessarily nap as soundly on the go, but hopefully that will change with time.

I think Caitlin's beginning to smile 'real' smiles, not just sleepy newborn smiles (which I adore) or gassy smiles (which I also adore). Of course, I could be wrong. She was all smiles the other night, and I was so excited that she was smiling at me. Then I changed her diaper and found she'd had an enormous poop. Ha!

Oh, and if you're waiting on a birth announcement I'll be getting on those soon. I should bring her in for a photo and get them printed next week. It's been a bit hectic since she was born with the initial recovery, Christmas, Ben's birthday, Nic's birthday, and now Nic's in Japan this week so birth announcements have taken a temporary back seat.

For now, here are some pics of Caitlin I've taken over the past weeks.

Hitting the playmat already:


Modeling a t-shirt she received as a gift from my friend Dawn who works at the hospital Caitlin was born ('I was born at Southlake Regional Health Centre'):
I brought Ben a Mater and McQueen balloon when I was grocery shopping. He kept insisting Caitlin 'hold' it. :)

Bundled up for a winter walk:

Labels: