Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Thursday, March 12, 2009

The good sleep continues! (and other stuff)

Oh thank you, Caitlin, for suddenly sleeping so well at night. The monitor has been back on for the past couple of nights (because I feared that maybe Nic and I were missing something) and I haven't heard so much as a peep. Oh please let this continue. I'm begging the sleep gods.

You'd think with the extra sleep I'd be feeling so much more refreshed in the morning, but I'm actually feeling really tired. I think my body has flung itself full force into recovery mode. I think if the good sleep continues for another week I'll be on top of my game again. The extra sleep, however, has really improved my mood and I'm much better equipped to deal with daily tantrums of a three-year-old.

Swaddle weaning continues to go well. She's still swaddled with one arm out. I really think this girl is going to be all about her thumb, when she finds it. She hasn't yet figured out how to stick it out, so she sucks on her fist. She tries to self-soothe, but it doesn't please her as much as the soother does. She's not overly enthusiastic about the soother except at nap and bedtime, so that's a good thing. Her fist seems to do the trick when she's awake, and she'll actually push the soother out of her mouth in favour of her fist during the day.

She's also firmly planted in the drooly stage, which I believe also started at 3 months with Ben. So now bibs are just part of the outfit these days otherwise her shirt ends up soaked.

Caitlin's still pretty easy going during her awake time. The only time she gets cries is when she's hungry or tired, but when she's over-hungry or over-tired, or when the two come to a head - look out! A complete meltdown. And getting her to settle enough to take her bottle at that point is a real chore which involves walking and rocking while trying her with her bottle. Fortunately this doesn't happen too often as I can usually anticipate when she'll be ready to eat again, so the bottle is usually at the ready. Otherwise she's just happy to hang out and take it all in. I've also started propping up the back of her swing seat now that she has the neck control to handle it, and she loves being able to sit upright.

Labels: