Benjamin and Caitlin: The Ultimate Tag Team



Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Week 26: Mmm... orange sugar water.

What every pregnant woman looks forward to in their pregnancy: the glucose screening test. And yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I'll admit that the orange drink didn't taste as bad as I remembered.

And if you're wondering what on earth I'm talking about, the glucose tolerance test is used to check pregnant women for gestational diabetes. It consists of drinking a horribly sweet orange soda-like drink, then sitting and waiting an hour before a surly lab tech draws blood (seriously, is lacking a personality a job prerequisite??).

I'll get the results at my next OB appointment on September 10th. If the test indicates elevated blood sugars, I'll have to return for a 2-hour glucose tolerance test, the results of which are the true indicator of gestational diabetes (hopefully not!).